Sunday, May 16, 2010

Say yes to Michigan distilleries

Thursday, August 28th, 2008
The Agitator

A newly proposed liquor license is boosting the spirits of 11 artisan distilleries across Michigan. The new class of license would cost distilleries only $100 a year and is part of a larger proposal that would also allow distilleries to sell their products onsite and offer samples to visitors…

Currently distiller-only companies must pay $1,000 a year to distill liquor and sell their products through a third party. Wineries and breweries can obtain a more limited distillers’ license to produce fruit brandies and other spirits.

Ken Wozniak, director of executive services for the Liquor Control Commission, said Michigan is a “control state,” meaning the government acts as a wholesaler for distilleries. They must meet mandatory standards and sales quotas to sell to retailers and restaurateurs.


One of these artisan distilleries is the Grand Traverse Distillery, which I had an opportunity to visit after devising a spruce-infused cocktail using their vodkas this summer. They make a really nice product from Northern Michigan rye. After three distillations through more than 6,000 pounds of copper, their vodka is very smooth and retains the complex, spicy character of the grain. It’s good on the rocks and interesting, a rare thing in a market that often favors ultra-clean, flavorless alcohol water.

Yet after speaking with general manager George Wertman, I was surprised that Michigan’s distilleries are in business at all. The state has one of the highest taxes on distilled products in the country. Misguided ethanol subsidies have enticed farmers to plant corn instead of rye. And on top of all this they have to deal with a distribution system that’s run by a state monopoly and forbids them from selling their products to willing buyers. Opening a distillery in this legal environment sounds crazy, but despite this Michigan has become an improbable leader in micro-distilling.

The good news is that the proposed new license passed the legislature and was signed by the governor last month. This will put micro-distilleries on an even footing with the state’s breweries and wineries and end one of the state’s stupider laws governing distillation: That a person can visit a distillery, but can’t legally buy a sip of its output from the people who make it.

It’s common to hear that America’s artisan distilleries are in a position similar to that of craft brewers in the 1980s, on the cusp of explosive growth in the production and appreciation of a superior, more diverse product. But to get there we’ll have to get past the entrenched interests of the larger producers, the protected distributors, and people’s negative perceptions of hard liquor. Accomplish all that, and we could be entering a golden age of locally-produced distilled spirits. Kudos to Michigan for taking one step in that direction.



SOURCE: http://www.theagitator.com/2008/08/28/say-yes-to-michigan-distilleries/

14 comments:

  1. Think about it, for a tourist, they need to see a map to know whichn distilleries are accessible. Why was this not obvious to anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seldom leave comments, but i did some searching and wound up here "Say yes to Michigan distilleries".
    And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind. Is it only me or does it appear like a few of these comments appear like they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other online sites, I'd like
    to follow everything fresh you have to post. Would you list of the
    complete urls of your public pages like your Facebook page,
    twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    My homepage: vigrx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Neat post. There's a problem together with your website in web explorer, may test this? IE nonetheless is the market leader and a large section of other folks will leave out your excellent writing due to this problem.

    my web site: NFL Jerseys Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
    wondering if you get a lot of spam comments?
    If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.

    Feel free to surf to my homepage; Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go to see daily a few web pages and websites to read articles,
    but this weblog offers feature based content.

    my website :: Michael Kors

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever
    work and exposure! Keep up the good works guys I've you guys to blogroll.

    My site: Montre Guess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really no matter if someone doesn't know afterward its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it takes place.

    Also visit my weblog ... Visit Website

    ReplyDelete
  8. I drop a leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a post on a website or if I
    have something to add to the discussion. It is triggered by the sincerness displayed in the article I read.
    And on this article "Say yes to Michigan distilleries". I was moved enough to drop a thought :
    -) I do have a few questions for you if you usually do not mind.
    Could it be simply me or do some of the remarks look as if
    they are written by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting at other online social sites, I'd like to keep up with you. Would you make a list the complete urls of your communal pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    Here is my web site :: Air Jordan Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Link exchange is nothing else however it is just placing the other person's webpage link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.

    Feel free to surf to my web page :: Sac A Main Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete
  10. Howdy! I realize this is sort of off-topic but I had to ask.

    Does building a well-established blog like yours take
    a large amount of work? I'm completely new to operating a blog however I do write in my journal every day. I'd like to start a blog
    so I will be able to share my experience and feelings online.

    Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for new aspiring bloggers.
    Thankyou!

    My blog ... additional Info

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?

    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    my weblog; Boutique Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  12. magnificent put up, very informative. I'm wondering why the other experts of this sector don't understand
    this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you have a huge
    readers' base already!

    Here is my blog post; Cheap NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, I log on to your blogs on a regular basis.
    Your humoristic style is witty, keep doing what you're doing!

    Also visit my website - Air Max Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi everyone, it's my first visit at this website, and piece of writing is truly fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these posts.

    Visit my site This Site

    ReplyDelete